Student Family Housing
UNM Student Family Housing (SFH) is designed for UNM students with spouses, domestic partners or families, and if space permits, single UNM Graduate or Upperclassmen. The SFH Complex consists of 200 apartments located in the 900 block of Buena Vista SE, a 12 acre site just a three-minute drive south of main campus.
- Fenced complex with controlled-access gate.
- Utilities Included: electricity, gas, water, satellite TV, high speed internet, laundry and trash collection are included in the monthly rent.
- Window treatments (vertical blinds) on all windows and sliding glass doors.
- Paved off-street parking.
- Community playground and outdoor recreation areas (including basketball court and sand volleyball court).
- Free heating in the cool season and air-conditioning in the summer months. Apartments are individually controlled.
- 24-hour laundry facilities with high efficiency washers and dryers located in each cluster.
- On site management staff and Community Resident Assistants.
- Social and educational events for residents and families.
- Several apartments are handicap accessible.
- Schools, churches, and shopping. (Lowell Elementary School, Wilson Middle School, and Albuquerque High School)
- Heights Community Center
- University Arena “The Pit”
- University Stadium.
- Isotopes Field (Albuquerque’s Triple A Minor League baseball team)
- Main shuttle lot for free transportation to and from campus
To qualify for Student Family Housing, there must be at least one registered UNM student in the apartment unit (which includes graduate students and post doc students). This is considered the person of record (the Licensee).
Eligible occupants/roommates include:
- Married couples with/without children
- Single parents with children
- Domestic partners
- Dependent Family members
- Same or differently gendered UNM Graduate Students
- Approved exceptions by Director of Residence Life and Student Housing or designee
SFH Licensees must list all family members and approved roommate(s) names on the signed License Agreement. Licensees with approved roommate(s) are considered the responsible party. As the responsible party, SFH Licensees are legally bound to collect rent from all roommates and pay monthly rental payments. Approved roommates may be family members and/or other UNM students.
Domestic partners should submit certification from the UNM Dean of Students office that they meet qualifying criteria.
For more information, email or call the SFH office at (505) 277-4265.
The Student Family Housing Complex is an access controlled and gated community. We have a student safety staff that patrols in the evenings, the patrol presence of UNM Police Department staff and the admin office is open Monday-Friday from 8am-6pm. During the evenings and weekends, there is a Community Resident Advisor on duty and available.
Within the controlled-access gated complex, free parking is available for residents and their visitors. Residents are assigned parking permits via the SFH Office. Residents are limited to two vehicles at SFH.
SFH residents may remain in Student Family Housing during the summer without taking summer classes, provided they are enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours for the fall semester. Residents will be asked to file a Summer Extension request in late spring.
Apartment Floor Plans & Rates
SFH has four separate and distinctive layouts. Each apartment has a full kitchen, living/dining area and vertical blinds on all windows and sliding glass doors. All apartments are unfurnished. The 2014-2015 monthly rates are as listed, and these rates include all utilities (electricity, heating, cooling, water and gas), satellite television signal, high speed UNM Internet Connection and free washer/dryer use in laundry rooms.
SFH Staff & Contacts
We want you to have a great experience living with us at UNM Student Family Housing and have several staff members on site to help.
The main point of contact for residents is through the office located in the Administration Building, phone (505) 277-4265. Our student administrative staff are in the office Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. You can also email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After 5pm and weekends, you should contact the CRA on Duty at (505) 903-4351
Denise Mitchell, Area Coordinator, Student Family Housing
Samuel Chang, Community Resident Advisor
Ruth Healy, Community Resident Advisor
Amanda Parker, Community Resident Advisor
Jeremy Kenny, Community Resident Advisor
Maintenance Staff: Carlos Sanchez, Dennis Webert, and Brian Silva
We also have student security staff from 5pm to 9am and all day on weekends, and they can be reached at (505) 225-0699.
Please feel free to contact any of us as needed!
Events & Activities
As a vital part of the University of New Mexico and the Residence Life and Student Housing Department, we are committed to making Student Family Housing vibrant, community-based place to live with educational and social activities to meet the needs of a wide variety of residents. Some of the events we have had include….
- Arts and Crafts for kids and adults
- Isotopes Baseball Games
- BBQs and Potluck gatherings
- Parent Circle Support Group with guest speakers
- Public Assistance Application Workshops
- Sports and Recreational Activities for kids and adults
If you have an idea for an event or activity, please feel free to contact one of the Community Resident Advisor Staff! We would love to know what your ideas are!