Student Family Housing
UNM Student Family Housing (SFH) is designed for UNM students, both undergraduate and graduate, with spouses, domestic partners or families, and if space permits, single UNM graduate or graduate roommates. The SFH Complex consists of 200 apartments located in the 900 block of Buena Vista SE, a 12 acre site just a three-minute drive south of main campus.
- Fenced complex with controlled-access gate.
- Utilities Included: electricity, gas, water, laundry and trash collection are provided as a courtesy. Satellite TV and internet are provided as a courtes and not included in the cost of rent.
- Window treatments (vertical blinds) on all windows and sliding glass doors.
- Paved off-street parking.
- Community playground and outdoor recreation areas (including basketball court and sand volleyball court).
- Free heating in the cool season and air-conditioning in the summer months. Apartments are individually controlled.
- 24-hour laundry facilities with high efficiency washers and dryers located in each cluster.
- On site management staff and Community Resident Assistants.
- Social and educational events for residents and families.
- Several apartments are handicap accessible.
- Schools, churches, and shopping. (Lowell Elementary School, Wilson Middle School, and Albuquerque High School)
- Heights Community Center
- University Arena “The Pit”
- University Stadium.
- Isotopes Field (Albuquerque’s Triple A Minor League baseball team)
- Main shuttle lot for free transportation to and from campus
In order to qualify to live in Student Family Housing, you must be:
- Admitted to UNM-Albuquerque main campus
- Enrolled a minimum of six credit hours during fall and spring semesters*
- Show reasonable progress toward the pursuit of a degree
Approved Family Kinship Groups:
- Married couples with/without children
- Single parents with children
- UNM Approved Domestic Partners with/without children
When space available:
- Single Graduate students
- Approved exceptions by Director or Residence Life and Student Housing or designee
SFH Licensees must list all family members names on SFH Data Sheets provided during License Agreement signing. Approval from Area Coordinator needed prior to adding new household members to data lists. Only one Licensee can be designated per apartment and as such is the responsible party.
Students Seeking Domestic Partnerships please see the Dean of Students website dos.unm.edu/services/domestic.html or call 505-277-3361 for more information.
For further questions regarding eligibility for Student Family Housing contact the SFH Office at 505-277-4265 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The SFH Complex is an access controlled and gated community and includes student safety staff in the evenings and UNM Police Department patrol presence. Community Resident Advisors are on duty and available during evenings and weekends.
Free parking is available for residents and their visitors within the gated complex. Residents are assigned parking permits via the SFH Office. Residents are allowed up to two vehicles at SFH.
SFH residents may remain in Student Family Housing during the summer without taking summer classes, provided they are enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours for the fall semester. Residents will be asked to file a Summer Extension request in late spring.
Apartment Floor Plans & Rates
SFH has four separate and distinctive layouts. Each apartment has a full kitchen, living/dining area and vertical blinds on all windows and sliding glass doors. All apartments are unfurnished. Rates include all utilities (electricity, heating, cooling, water and gas), satellite television signal, high speed UNM Internet Connection and free washer/dryer use in laundry rooms.
SFH Staff & Contacts
Have Questions or Need more Information?
We want Current and prospective residents to have a great experience living with us at Student Family Housing to aide with this we have several staff on site to help answer questions and provide information about our housing facility.
Please contact us by phone, via e-mail or come by our main office location:
961 Buena Vista Dr. SE Albuquerque, NM 87106
SFH Administrative Staff
Denise Mitchell, Area Coordinator- Student Family Housing
SFH Maintenance Staff
- Carlos Sanchez, SFH Lead Facilities Technician
- Dennis Webert, SFH Facilities Technician
- Thomas William, SFH Trades Technician Helper
Student Administrative Staff
- Vanessa Vicenti, Admin. Assistant
- Beverly Trujillo, Admin. Assistant
- Amanda Thomas, Admin. Assistant
SFH Student Community Resident Advisor Staff
- Kyle Lacy, Community Resident Advisor ABC Quad
- Rachel King, Community Resident Advisor DEF Quad
- Christopher DeGraw, Community Resident Advisor GHJ Quad
- Jesse Preciado, Community Resident Advisor KLM Quad
After 5 pm-8 am M-F and weekends, residents should contact the CRA on Duty at (505) 903-4351 for emergencies
Student Security Staff are available M-F 5 pm to 8 am and all day on weekends they can be reached at: 505-225-0699
Events & Activities
As a vital part of the University of New Mexico and the Residence Life and Student Housing Department, we are committed to making Student Family Housing vibrant, community-based place to live with fun educational and social activities and programming to meet the needs of a wide variety of residents. Some of the events/programs we have provided include….
- Science & Engineering nights
- Family Study Night
- Zoo to You
- Ditch the Ditches Water Safety Program
- New Mexico Natural History & Science Museum Free entry promotion
- Isotopes Baseball Games
- Lobo sporting events
- Free ticket giveaways
- Arts and Crafts
- Holiday & Seasonal Events
- SFH Goes to the Movies
- Professional Development opportunities
- Scholarship Announcements
- Tax preparation information
- More programming to Come 2016-2017…
We encourage all residents to participate in any event and or programming opportunities available.
SFH Community Residents with event or activity ideas are encouraged to contact the Community Resident Advisor staff! We would love to know what you are interested in! Event/ programming Volunteers are also welcome!