Skip to main content

Some Frequently Asked Questions...

All Fall contracts are for the full academic year (Fall and Spring). They begin on the first day you can move in in August and extend through the last day of finals in May.

Yes. We typically have some room availability in the spring. Spring-only applications are generally made available online in October, prior to the spring semester.

Our online application is available in October of the year prior to the start of contract. For example, the online application for Fall 2017, will be available October 2016.

Due with each application is a $50 non-refundable application fee.

Our returning residents are given the first chance to claim a room for the following fall. Once the renewal process is over, we open the halls to our new applicants. With the exception of Living Learning Communities, all rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants are prompted to list four hall preferences on their application. We will do our absolute best to honor those preferences. Those that apply early (October through January) are far more likely to receive an assignment from their list of preferences. If an applicant has been preliminarily assigned to any room but their top preference, they are automatically placed on a waitlist for all of the preferences that were above the type of room to which they were assigned. If a space becomes available and they are next on the waitlist, they will automatically be upgraded.

Many times, an applicant will decide that they are happy with their assignment and do not want to be upgraded based on their preferences. If this is the case, please call us at 505.277.2606 so that we may place a "Do Not Upgrade" notice on your application.

You can request a roommate preference on our housing application. RLSH will only honor mutual roommate requests. You will need to follow these guidelines so that we may pair you with the roommate that you have requested.

  • You must provide names and UNM Student ID numbers for each of your requested roommate/apartment-mate(s) on your application
  • Your requested roommate(s) must also, mutually, request you as their roommate
  • You should fill out your application, at or near the same time, as the roommate/apartment mate(s) you are requesting
  • You must indicate on your application that you are willing to release your contact information to your assigned roommate

Once we receive your application we will do our best to pair you with your requested roommate. Roommate assignments are not guaranteed.

Roommate assignments are released in the middle of July, about a month before the start of the academic year. This gives new roommates an entire month to get to know each other and to make arrangements for move-in! All assigned applicants may call our 24-Hour Help Desk at 505.277.2606 or send an email with name, student ID# and their request to to find out their assigned roommate. If your assigned roommate has authorized us to share his/her personal information with you, we will give you their name, email address and(or) phone contact information. If your assigned roommate has opted not to share his/her information, you will need to wait until the beginning of the school year to meet your roommate. Please be ready to provide your UNM student ID# when requesting roommate information.

All changes to your housing registration need to be in writing. You can send an email to including your full name, your student ID# and your requested change. Sometimes, your assignment has already been made. Changes may still be possible, depending on the timeliness of your request, but are not guaranteed. 

Yes, all of our residence halls are co-ed, meaning that both men and women live in the halls but are separated by floors, suites or sections of a building. With the exception of our Gender Neutral living learning community, men and women do not share rooms, bathrooms, suites or apartments. Co-ed apartments are available exclusively for upperclassmen who have mutually agreed to choose this option.

Yes, we do have a number of ADA accessible rooms available on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants will need to register with UNM Accessibilities and submit a housing application. UNM Accessibilities will email us with their assignment recommendation. Some applicants have special needs that may just warrant a single room, or possibly a room on the bottom floor. The same process applies to these special requests. We will honor all recommendations made by UNM Accessibilities as long as we have the space available.

Contracts must be canceled in writing via email from the applicant to Cancellations must be received prior to the first day of check In which is when the contract begins. Cancellations fees will apply and are assigned based on the cancellation schedule. Once the contract has begun, residents may release their contract in person with their Community Director during posted office hours. Contract Release charges are assessed based on the resident's enrollment status and time of release. Release fees and penalties are also available on the Rates and Payments information page. For more information visit our contract cancelation page. 

The University of New Mexico requires that first year residents/freshmen purchase a meal plan. Meal plans are managed by the LoboCard Office. For more information please call 505.277.9970 or visit their website,

Residence Life and Student Housing is a functioning UNM department under Student Life and Student Affairs. Casas Del Rio and Lobo Village are owned and managed by American Campus Communities, a private UNM housing partner. As our private partner leasing land from UNM, they have a separate application process and lease agreement from Residence Life and Student Housing. Please contact Casas Del Rio or Lobo Village with any questions that you have about their properties or if you have signed a lease with them.