You may only change rooms with proper authorization from your building Coordinator or other professional staff member. Residents desiring a room change must submit a completed Room Change Form. Approval for room changes is at the discretion of the professional staff member.
Generally, changes are only granted for specific reasons and during a designated window of time during the beginning of each semester.
SPRING 2017 ROOM CHANGES: Room change requests will be accepted through Tuesday, January 24, 2017. Any requests submitted after this deadline will not be considered. Notification of approved room changes will be sent to a students UNM email address by the end of the day on Thursday, January 26, 2017.
Approved room changes require that you move from your current space to your new room over the weekend of Friday, January 27, 2017 to Sunday, January 29, 2017. You will be able to begin moving at 4:00PM on Friday, January 27 and must complete your move, including the check-out of your old space by 10:00PM on Sunday, January 29. Full details on checking-in and checking-out will be included in the notification emails sent to students on January 26, 2017.
All residents who have been granted a room change must complete the move as outlined above, otherwise they will forfeit the ability to change rooms and may be charged an improper check-out fee.
In order to request a room change, please submit your request form by the date indicated.
- Fully complete all sections of the form. Failure to provide information can cause delay in the processing of your request.
- Indicate the hall, room, and/ or type of room you want to move to, why you would like to make the change, and obtain the necessary signatures.
- If you are applying for a change into a specific room, make sure the space is either vacant or will be vacant; requests for specific spaces that are occupied will be denied.
- If two or more people request the same space, the person who has lived in the residence halls for the most consecutive semesters will be awarded the space.
- If you are requesting any available room or any available type of room, please indicate your hall and room type preference.
- If you are under 18 years of age and are requesting to move from a double room to a single or double-as-single room, you must have a parent or guardian sign approval.
How to change rooms (during the semester)
After you've submitted your form, a professional staff member will review all requests and notify you of the decision via your UNM email.
- You are required to check-in to your NEW Room by the date indicated in your email.
- Once you have moved all your personal items from your old room to your new room and clean your old room, you will need to schedule a check out with your old room RA.
- You are required to complete an RA Check-Out of your old room.
- Failure to complete your move within the aforementioned timeline will cancel the room change.
Improper room/apartment change fees may be assessed for moves without proper authorization.