A contract cancellation is the termination of the contract initiated by a student prior to the contract commencement. A contract cancellation must be processed through UNM Residence Life and Student Housing and cannot be processed by any other UNM department, including UNM Admissions. Contract cancellations may incur a fee depending on the date of cancellation. Please review the Academic Year Contract Cancellations below.
First Day of 2018-2019 UNM Housing Contract: August 14, 2018
First Day of Fall 2018 Semester Classes: August 20, 2018
An early check-in constitutes commencement of the contract and the resident is subject to contract release rates verses contract cancellation rates. Contract cancellations may incur a fee, depending on the date of cancellation.
Cancellation & Rates 2018
To request a contract cancellation, please login to the housing portal (where you completed your application) and use the contract cancellation form. Please remember that all of the following processes are exclusive from any University withdrawal processes you may need to complete. For contract release (after the first day of the contract) please contact your Hall/Area Coordinator. Please read further for more information on cancellations, no-show, and contract release to ensure you are following the correct process and to understand the fees incurred with each.
If you have registered for your housing, your contract cancellation fees are as follows:
- Cancellation received on or before May 12, 2018- $0
- Cancellation received between May 12 and June 20, 2018- $300
- Cancellation received between June 21 and July 20, 2018- $400
- Cancellation received between July 21 and August 13, 2018- $500
Students who register for housing after the term start date have one week (7 days) after submission to complete cancellation. Cancellations within the 7 days will be charged a fee of $500.
A contract release is the termination of the contract after the contract commencement or for "No-Show." (See next section for no-show information.) Contract release occurs after the first day of the contract.
Residents wishing to terminate their contract after the first day of the contract (contract release) must process the request through a Hall Coordinator, Area Coordinator, or Residence Life Manager employed by UNM Residence Life & Student Housing. To request a contract release, contact your Hall/Area Coordinator. Contract releases incur fees and charges associated with the date of the contract release. Contract release rates are as follows:
Never enrolled or withdrawal from UNM
- On or after contract commencement: $400 release fee +Daily Rate
Still enrolled in the University
- On or after contract commencement: $400 Release Fee + Daily Rate + 40% of remaining contract
No-show is a failure to claim your assigned room by the first official day of classes and no cancellation or contract release has been initiated. A fee and release rate will be applied as of the first day of classes for all no-shows.
- Never enrolled or withdrawal from the University No-Show Fee (Failure to claim your assigned room by the first day of classes): $610
- Still enrolled in the University No-Show Fee (Failure to claim your assigned room by the first day of classes): $2,350
Students living in the Residents Halls for the fall, but are moving out of the Residence Halls for the spring semester because they will not be enrolled in classes must complete a contract release by November 17, 2017 to have the contract release fee waived. Contract releases received after November 17 will include the $400 contract release fee.
Please note: Apartment residents who terminate their contracts between December and January may be subject to additional charges.
The following deadlines and information apply only to new residents for the spring semester. Contract cancellation deadlines for new residents for the spring semester are as follows:
- Cancellation received on or before December 15, 2017 - $0
- Cancellation received between December 16 and December 21, 2017- $400
- Cancellation received between December 22, 2017 and January 10, 2018- $500
Contract Release Deadlines for Spring-only Residents
Spring contract begins January 11, 2018. First day of the spring 2018 semester is January 15, 2018.